Q. Is it normal to miss periods once we stop birth control pills?

Published on Sep 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2019

I am a 17-year-old female. I was put on birth control before three months. I took it for two months then stopped, and I have not had a period after finishing it. Is this common, or should I be worried? And I am not sexually active.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I believe the reason you were started on birth control pill was because you already had irregular menses, and the physician must have advised you to continue it for at least six months. Also when you started your periods seemed to be regular for two months, but when you stopped it you reverted to your earlier state of oligomenorrhoea.

This situation points mostly towards polycystic ovarian syndrome. I would suggest you undergo an ultrasound to check the size of ovaries and the endometrial thickness (ET). If ET is more than 8 mm, then you can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progestins and then restart on birth control pills in consultation with your primary physician.

| 

Though my pregnancy test is negative, I miss my period. What to do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I have missed periods and a negative pregnancy test. Should I wait for another test? I tested three days back. The last LMP date was exactly a month back. This is related to my wife.  Read Full »

Why am I not getting my periods after taking Z pack?

Query: Hello doctor,My last period started a month back. The next week I was on a Z pack for a throat infection. I have not gotten my period this month. I am 7 to 10 days late. Took six different brands, etc. Pregnancy tests are all negative. What could be causing this late period? I am under a lot of stre...  Read Full »

Can birth control cause white milky discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female and I was on the birth control pill Aviane for almost two years. I never had any negative symptoms and had an overall good experience but I decided to stop taking it after ending my relationship because I would no longer be sexually active. About four weeks a...  Read Full »