HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologymissed periodMy period is nine days late, and the pregnancy test results are negative. What could be the reason for my delayed periods?

What could be the reason for delayed periods?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 30, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 30, 2023

Patient's Query

My period is 9 days late, I have taken pregnancy tests on days 4, 6, and 9, all negative. I am 20 years old, not on birth control but it is very unlikely I am pregnant. I have no symptoms of either PMS or pregnancy. I am usually very regular with periods, why is my period so late?

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R

If you are so sure that pregnancy is ruled out, then other possibilities are:

1. Any recent sudden increase or decrease in weight?
  2. Any episodes of severe mental or physical stress, anxiety, depression, or happiness?
  3. Any thyroid or prolactin hormone abnormalities?
  4. Any recent hormone usage to alter periods?

Once in a while, the lady can have a cycle with no ovulation. Next month onwards you will have regular periods. You can wait for a maximum of 45 since the last periods. If you delay the next periods for too long, the next periods can be heavy and bleeding may be disturbing and painful then. So after 45 days of your last period, if you do not get periods, have any of the birth control pills one tablet twice a day for 10 days, no matter what the cause is, you will get periods within 7 to 10 days of the last pill.

I hope it helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy