Q. Is it safe to have mitochondrial embryo donation at 44 years of age?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am considering mitochondrial embryo donation. However, prior to doing so, I am wondering about a home hormonal balancing option as I found online. Which do you suggest for attempting first? I am 44 years old with an AMH of .5 ng/mL, six follicles located in the ultrasound, an FSH level of 10 mIU/mL or under, and an endometrium lining of 356 mm. Thanks in advance.

#

In your case, medical treatment for raising AMH (anti-mullerian hormone test) levels can be offered before opting for an IVF (in-vitro fertilization) or ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) procedure. Also please share the online hormonal balancing option which you have come across.

Thanks for the reply. As for raising AMH level, would you be referring to HCG injections? I heard that Clomid does not offer much assistance for my age group. As for the online hormonal balancing option, it is offered by a fertility concern. I attached a screenshot of the hormones claimed for the test and balance out. I was initially planning for IVF or mitochondrial transfer procedures as I was told by experts that my age group and outlook are grim. But, then, I was wondering if those procedures would even be helpful for someone of my age group.

#

Thanks for the follow-up. If you have been menstruating regularly as on date, then AMH can be improved after reviewing your DHEAS (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) levels. HCG injections have been used for oocyte priming before IVF or ICSI procedure but they do not affect AMH levels. In your case, DHEAS with Vitamin D3 supplementation and NOVELON tablet (ethinyl estradiol with Desogestrel) for continuous two cycles should be offered and then AMH levels can be rechecked. But DHEAS levels and 17OHP (17-hydroxyprogesterone) levels are mandatory to be learned before the initiation of therapy. Regards.

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful replies. I have one further question for you. If those suggestions fail, do you believe that mitochondrial transfer procedures actually assist a female in my age group? Or, is it overhyped in certain corners of the world? I think that this procedure is done for those females under 40 years old. Thanks again.

#

Hello, I would like to state that mitochondrial DNA transfer is considered an option for those women who have mitochondrial DNA disease, which is being passed on to her by her mother and so forth running in generations. AMH levels or ovarian reserve pertaining to age group has nothing to do with it. Unless you have a mitochondrial DNA disease and suffered from multiple miscarriages or non-viable pregnancies because of it, then it can be an option. But if your oocyte quality is fine or improved by medication then you can opt for an ICSI procedure with your own oocyte rather than opting for a donor egg and then an ICSI procedure (intracytoplasmic sperm injection). If you do not succeed with your own egg, then opt for a donor egg and IVF procedure. Regards.

|