Q. Do heavy breast and slight discoloration in the skin around the nipple area mean cancer?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 40-year-old healthy woman. Every year I do an ultrasound on breasts, and one time did in the 37s mammogram. Everything is fine. I have a small breast. A few days before my periods, my left breast will feel heavy, and I also noticed a slight discoloration in the skin of my left breast around the nipple area. It is so tiny. I do not know if I had it before, and I do not remember. I am afraid. Could it be something like cancer?

#

Thank you for the query. According to your statement, you have recently noticed a little discoloration near the nipple area of your left breast. I can understand your concern.

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here is not clear enough. It seems to be a mole. Moles are skin growth that is caused by clusters of pigmented cells. They may change in appearance or disappear over time. Again, before starting the menstrual cycle, breasts may become enlarged, painful, or heavy. It is quite normal. If you have doubt, you can undergo a biopsy from the little discoloration area to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|