Q. I have an elevated mole on my back, which is flaky to touch due to dry skin. Why?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 52-year-old male 6.1 feet tall and weighs about 76 kg. I am in very good health. Since my childhood, I have always had moles on my body. My body color is normal, and my eyes and hair are brown. I have this mole on the top of my back that has been there for years, but I now notice that it has an elevated part, and due to my dry skin, it feels flaky when I touch it. I would like to have your opinion. I am attaching some pictures; all pictures were taken today. Thank you.

#

Do not worry; I will help you with your concern.

I went through your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity); yes, this mole does look irritated.

See moles become a matter of concern when

• They suddenly start to increase in size.
  • It starts to bleed.
  • Develop irritation or pain.
  • Becomes asymmetrical.
  • Change in color.

A mole on your back looks slightly asymmetrical and irritated; I suggest you visit a dermatologist in person and get it appropriately checked as a dermoscopic examination needs to be done.

Do not take stress until you visit a dermatologist. It could be nothing, but proper examination once needs to be done.

Thanks and regards.

|