Q. Is it normal for a mole to disappear?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

Several years ago, I had a flat, brown mole on the inner side of my lower lip. I am not sure whether it appeared suddenly or I just noticed it later after some days. I went to my dermatologist and she said it was a mole. She might have said freckle and that it was not anything to worry about. Since then, it faded in color until it just disappeared one day. It probably disappeared a few years later. I have not had any mole that disappeared. Is this regression of any concern?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Moles are of various kinds. Some moles are non-pigmented.
  • It is normal for a pigmented mole to regress and disappear, as it is to become raised above the surface of skin.
  • That is not a cause of concern, especially when your doctor had ruled out any atypicality of the mole.
  • Moles are of concern if they show a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc.
  • In that case, a biopsy or dermascopy should be done to determine the true nature of the lesion.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for your reply doctor,

Is it possible that this was never a mole, but instead a broken blood vessel? It was underneath the skin and had a bit of a purplish hue and it disappeared when I touched it. It used to reappear again a few seconds later. Then it faded and eventually left altogether within a few years. My other question, in the event this was a melanoma that regressed, would I have other symptoms by now as this all occurred several years ago? It has been almost a decade now.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• Yes, it is possible. Since it blanched on pressure, it means the lesion was a vascular one and not a mole.
  • Even if it was a melanoma as you are worried about, melanomas are highly malignant and symptoms appear soon after.
  • Since a decade has passed, rest assured it was nothing omnious.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Can you suggest some home remedies for face tan?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a very bad tan on my sun affecting regions over my body. I have been experiencing this since I got my chickenpox before six years. My skin has started to get darker every day since then. I have consulted a dermatologist and he suggested me to apply ointments li...  Read Full »

Do tanning beds increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, From when I was 17 years old I have used tanning beds on and off up until I was 22. I was not aware of the risks. Through the internet I learnt about the risks. I got to know that it is inevitable and that will develop melanoma at some point. Do most people who use tanning beds end up wit...  Read Full »

What do you think about the moles on my back?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some moles on my back and that in my opinion look suspicious. What do you think? Please clarify.  Read Full »