Q. Is it normal for a mole to disappear?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

Several years ago, I had a flat, brown mole on the inner side of my lower lip. I am not sure whether it appeared suddenly or I just noticed it later after some days. I went to my dermatologist and she said it was a mole. She might have said freckle and that it was not anything to worry about. Since then, it faded in color until it just disappeared one day. It probably disappeared a few years later. I have not had any mole that disappeared. Is this regression of any concern?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Moles are of various kinds. Some moles are non-pigmented.
  • It is normal for a pigmented mole to regress and disappear, as it is to become raised above the surface of skin.
  • That is not a cause of concern, especially when your doctor had ruled out any atypicality of the mole.
  • Moles are of concern if they show a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc.
  • In that case, a biopsy or dermascopy should be done to determine the true nature of the lesion.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your reply doctor,

Is it possible that this was never a mole, but instead a broken blood vessel? It was underneath the skin and had a bit of a purplish hue and it disappeared when I touched it. It used to reappear again a few seconds later. Then it faded and eventually left altogether within a few years. My other question, in the event this was a melanoma that regressed, would I have other symptoms by now as this all occurred several years ago? It has been almost a decade now.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• Yes, it is possible. Since it blanched on pressure, it means the lesion was a vascular one and not a mole.
  • Even if it was a melanoma as you are worried about, melanomas are highly malignant and symptoms appear soon after.
  • Since a decade has passed, rest assured it was nothing omnious.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can you suggest some home remedies for face tan?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a very bad tan on my sun affecting regions over my body. I have been experiencing this since I got my chickenpox before six years. My skin has started to get darker every day since then. I have consulted a dermatologist and he suggested me to apply ointments li...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern. Your symptoms could be due to lichen planus pigmentosus (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Skin biopsy may be done to confirm the diagnosis. Colchicine may give some results in LPP. You shou...  Read Full

Do people using tanning beds end up with melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, From when I was 17 years old I have used tanning beds on and off up until I was 22. I was not aware of the risks. Through the internet I learnt about the risks. I got to know that it is inevitable and that will develop melanoma at some point. Do most people who use tanning beds end up wit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not necessary that everyone who uses a tanning bed will develop melanoma. It varies from person to person depending on the risk factors. Not everyone who uses a tanning bed develops melanoma. Moreover, you do not seem to have any risk factors and all your moles ap...  Read Full

What do you think about the moles on my back?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some moles on my back and that in my opinion look suspicious. What do you think? Please clarify.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the photographs to get a better opinion. Thank you. Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full