Q. Is it normal for a mole to disappear?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

Several years ago, I had a flat, brown mole on the inner side of my lower lip. I am not sure whether it appeared suddenly or I just noticed it later after some days. I went to my dermatologist and she said it was a mole. She might have said freckle and that it was not anything to worry about. Since then, it faded in color until it just disappeared one day. It probably disappeared a few years later. I have not had any mole that disappeared. Is this regression of any concern?

#

• Moles are of various kinds. Some moles are non-pigmented.
  • It is normal for a pigmented mole to regress and disappear, as it is to become raised above the surface of skin.
  • That is not a cause of concern, especially when your doctor had ruled out any atypicality of the mole.
  • Moles are of concern if they show a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc.
  • In that case, a biopsy or dermascopy should be done to determine the true nature of the lesion.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your reply doctor,

Is it possible that this was never a mole, but instead a broken blood vessel? It was underneath the skin and had a bit of a purplish hue and it disappeared when I touched it. It used to reappear again a few seconds later. Then it faded and eventually left altogether within a few years. My other question, in the event this was a melanoma that regressed, would I have other symptoms by now as this all occurred several years ago? It has been almost a decade now.

#

• Yes, it is possible. Since it blanched on pressure, it means the lesion was a vascular one and not a mole.
  • Even if it was a melanoma as you are worried about, melanomas are highly malignant and symptoms appear soon after.
  • Since a decade has passed, rest assured it was nothing omnious.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|