Q. How can I manage intense mood swings and depression?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2022

I have had severe mood swings for three years. I have zero concentration on anything and feel like I have two zones. Sometimes I am very happy, and other times I feel depressed and have suicidal thoughts. This affects my social life, and I cannot balance my emotions and mood. I am not able to concentrate on my studies and often have suicidal thoughts.

Kindly help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

From your detailed history, what you are describing looks like depression. But, can you tell me what do you mean by being extremely happy?

Sometimes some people get episodes of elated mood, and in that phase, they are hyperactive, have more energy, feel elated, and feel happy for no reason. In severe cases, it can also present multiple other symptoms, and it is called mania. Once the episode is over, the person might go into a depressive phase where they are sad and low. If it is just sadness, then it is depression. If there are phases of mania, then we label it bipolar mood disorder. So you need professional help to evaluate your condition, identify your problem and start the treatment.

You must consult a local psychiatrist for medicines and therapy. Medications will help you stabilize your mood and therapy will teach you how to manage your unhelpful thoughts and not let them affect you.

I hope I was helpful to you.

|