Q. I am struggling to take decision about my career. Is it a psychiatric problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

I am a 30 year old male. At present, I am struggling to make a move in my career. I have been sitting idle for about eight months and I am confused about which career direction to take. I want to play according to my strength. I am not able to decide about it. I keep changing my decision on a daily basis. I thought I should consult a psychiatrist, but I am not sure if it is related to psychiatry or not. Can you identify the problem and give necessary recommendations to overcome this challenge? I was previously working in a law firm where I worked for about six months, and then I got fired from there. Since then, I have not been able to make a decision.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Indecisiveness could be occurring due to underlying mood disturbance, but to make an exact diagnosis of the problem a detailed evaluation is needed.
  • You are not working for last eight months and struggling in your career. It could be due to depression. Mild depression might lead to such presentation.
  • If you have other symptoms like lack of interest in work, reduced pleasure in things that used to give you pleasure, persistent tiredness, fatigue, etc., then this could be due to mild depression.
  • You can consult a psychiatrist for an opinion on your problem. Medicines like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) will help to treat the condition. Take care.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|