Q. I feel that one of my friends uses me monetarily. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I do not have any health issue. But, I am not in mental peace with my close friends. I do something that is unintentional and it bothers my friends. This creates a sense of agony in me; it bothers me a lot as I overthink. The issue can be very small and negligible, but I think that one of my friends uses me monetarily, may it be a matter of a very small amount. I am often embarrassed amongst them, but this is because of the reaction of the other people.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Hello.

• The feeling that your friends are using you for money could be occurring due to trust issues. This results in a reaction formation and ultimately results in worsening of the situation.
  • To prevent sudden reactions try to remain calm. Try to find out the cause for reacting so much.
  • Also, find out the positives and negatives of your friends and you will come to know that there are more positive things than negative things.
  • Appreciate positive things and disqualify any negative behavior. With time, you will learn to ignore and things should improve. Keep your space and give space to others.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

I appreciate your response. I would like to add on that I often feel excited as in I become too happy or too sad early. This is literally within fraction of seconds. Regarding trust issues, I would say that I trust too much and feel that my trust is getting misused by my friends. May be they do not misuse my trust, but at times, from the way they behave I feel that my trust getting attacked.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Just try to remain calm and relaxed. Trust is gained in years, but is lost in few seconds.
  • Even if you think others are wrong, try to give the benefit of doubt to others till it can be given.
  • Ignore any bad behavior, but if such behavior is repeated, then talk with your friends directly and assertively that you do not appreciate this thing. Even after that condition persists, then avoid that particular friend.
  • Mood swings with alternative sad or happy mood could be considered as normal considering your age. Just believe in yourself and remain relaxed. Everything will improve.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|