Q. Why do my morning erection prolong for hours even after ejaculation?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

For some time now, when I wake up in the morning with an erection, I do stool frequently and after a while I has pain in my penile area. The erection is usually prolonged. Please help.

#

Morning erection is normal and it usually subsides as you go to the toilet. I need to ask you a few questions to clarify.

How prolong is your erection? Frequency of stool is it all time? How many times in the day? Do you have any urinary complains? Do you have urethral discharge? Are sexually active? Pain in penis is it in the urethra (where you pass urine from)? Or at sides or back of the penis?

Are you married if yes, does your wife have any abnormal discharge? Smell or color? Please get back to me with answers to make easy for me to decide about any treatment.

Morning erection is normal that is what I know but this one seems different because it can last from morning when I wake up say 6 AM till afternoon. Infact, I am still having erection now since I woke up 6 AM and is about 1 PM and after an hour or so I would start having pain on the penis muscles with kind of peppery sensation especially at the tip.

As you said it usually subsides as you go to toilet. Unfortunately, it does not subside that early. It takes hours before it subsides. Today is even prolonged as I said above.

Frequency of stool: Once it starts I stool more frequenlty than normal. I could go to the toilet like two or three times in certain hours inteval. Today I have gone to toilet now about five times with my stool kind not too solid and sometime solid and I feel peppery sensation in my anus such that I cannot just go sit immediately I leave the toilet seat.

Today I got the erection for about five times within six hours. I do not have any urinary complaints and I urinate normally. I do not have any urethral discharge and I never had any STI or STD that I know my adult life.

About sexual life, I am married and I do not feel like having sex when this abnormal stuff starts. Initially some months ago I felt when I had sex it would come down and subside but surprisingly after ejaculation it was still very hard. I have never taken any sex drug.

#

Basically you seems to have priapism it is not normal. Prolonged erection which can cause pain in penis and it is prolonged unwanted erection for more than four hours. In Africa, it is most commonly due to sickle cell disease. Other causes can be there but need to rule out sickle cell disease (in which red blood cells become crescent in shape instead of the round when the oxygen level is low the crescent red blood cells block your vessels and in the penis it causes prolonged erections). For that you will need to do complete blood picture which is CBC which can show the shape or red blood cells.

Precautions you will need to take is good hydration drink three to four liters of water daily and if it persists then you need to go to hospital for oxygen therapy. Please review it back after your blood test. No medical treatment is indicated at the moment for the condition.

For the stool problem, if it persists please consult a gastroenterologist.

|