Q. I have a black spot on abdomen and the skin is dry, scaly and itchy there. Please help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have a black spot on my abdomen since many years which has made that part of the skin dry, scaly, and itchy.

#

I understand your concern and have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since it present for many years, the possible diagnosis is morphea, which an increased deposition of collagen skin protein in that localized area. Although the only confirmatory test would be a skin biopsy.

Since it is present for many years, without regression, it is strongly recommended for you to perform a skin biopsy.

Please do not panic as morphea in most cases regresses on its own within a few years or in some cases responds to steroidal cream, Vitamin D creams, and phototherapy but would work only after the confirmation. It is also localized and generally does not involve any systemic involvement.

Few of the common causes are repeated trauma to the site, insect or tick bite, repeated friction, extreme exercise, puncturing wound, and history of any surgery.

Kindly be advised to consult a local dermatologist for a local examination of the lesion and advised for skin biopsy.

|