Q. I have ulcers, sore throat, and oral thrush with swallowing difficulty. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I am a 22-year-old female. I have some mouth and throat concerns. I have ulcers, sore throat, occasional oral thrush, difficulty swallowing, lump on the throat (larynx), night sweats, fever, loose teeth, and abnormal discoloration in mouth. I am currently on birth control patch, Dextro-amphetamine and Cymbalta.

I have been struggling for months now with quite a few mouth and throat issues. I have constant mouth ulcers that are taking weeks to heal, I get the sensation that I have not swallowed something completely down and that it stuck so I will keep swallowing and swallowing it drives me mad. It is not easy for me to keep doing this because swallowing feels harder than it should be almost like my throat is too swollen.

I have a sore throat 80% of the time. I have odd waves of oral thrush and my mouth also has pale and red areas on my soft palate, my hard palate is just very pale. I have a couple of loose teeth but otherwise in very good shape. Frequent random nose bleeds that are usually heavy but can be light at times. Night sweats every night and feeling easily overheated during the days.

I have also now become more concerned since my throat developed a hard lump on the top of my larynx. It feels very swollen where it is almost like it is ready to explode. It does not move and it stays firm putting a lot of pressure on my throat. I am assuming this is why it feels hard to swallow. It does not hurt but if I push on it to feel the firmness it causes discomfort to the surroundings mostly underneath the lump.

#

First and foremost, I would advise you not to panic or get disheartened. According to me, there is no major issue out there and we usually encounter such issues very often in our outpatient department.

Now looking at your case, oral ulcers can be due to various causes right from nutritional and vitamin deficiencies to infections or repeated trauma. Getting each and every parameter tested often becomes extremely expensive and might frustrate you even more.

Coming to your second major concern, difficulty in swallowing with no major pain as such can be due to some ulcers down in your throat, or infection in your pharynx (throat), or constant gastric irritation.

Advice:

1. Consider taking a good multivitamin for two to three months.

2. Follow a healthy, hygienic lifestyle.

3. Avoid smoking, alcohol, etc.

4. Avoid having spicy, oily, and junk food items.

5. Salt water gargles at least 8 to 10 times a day. You should keep your oral cavity free from contaminating organisms and hence the throat infection.

6. Keep sipping on boiled warm water.

7. Consider antireflux therapy if you have the slightest of reflux issues.

8. Get your viral markers for HIV, HbsAg and blood sugars done too.

9. Do not Google too much of your symptoms out.

10. Do not correlate too many unnecessary things and do not take stress at any cost, sometimes stress can be responsible for non-healing ulcers.

|