Q. I have nerve pain all over my body and my MRI showed two white spots on brain. Kindly help.

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

My MRI scan shows two white spots on the brain. Radiologist report was sent to the neurologist. Please review.

I presented with nerve pain all over my body about two years ago. That was chronic but largely in the background and not noticeable. Six months ago, I developed pain in my shoulder, which the doctor attributed to a pulled muscle. After one or two months, I developed tight neck muscles, especially my sternomastoid muscle. I became very anxious about this. I stopped sleeping, and my nerve issues became worse to the point where I began to experience fascinations and formications around my body. This subsided once I slept properly, and I was left again with the typical nerve pain I was familiar with. This pain is barely noticeable. Doctors attributed my stiff neck and painful shoulder to bad posture. My neck and back muscles are also extremely tense, and I have large muscle knots on my upper and lower traps. It is important to note that stiffness is large on the right side of the body. Recently, my stiffness got worse again, and my fasciculations and formication returned. I slept, and they felt better, although I sometimes feel the fasciculations. I decided to see a neurologist. Blood work was performed, and everything returned negative except for slightly elevated white blood cell count.

#

The uploaded images are flair images, which are very sensitive to brain lesions (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Those white spots you pointed are called white matter hyper-intensities. White matter hyperintensities or lesions are frequently seen in healthy elderly people. It is accepted to be normal to have one white spot every ten years. Their prevalence increases with age from approximately 10% to 20% in those approximately 60 years old to close to 100% in those older than 90 years.

They are more common in individuals with a history of cognitive impairment, dementia, or cerebrovascular disease. Aging and hypertension are the main predictors. Other risk factors include diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, smoking, carotid artery disease, atrial fibrillation, and heart failure.

To sum it up, those lesions are usually innocent and commonly seen in healthy individuals. They may increase in time, especially with the known diagnosis of diabetes.

Age, diabetes.

I am worried that I am only 30 years old and I thought they are unusual for my age. I was worried that these lesions are indications of MS.

#

Looking at their shape and location, it is unlikely for them to represent MS. I would recommend you upload the whole MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to see the whole picture and make further comments.

|