Q. Kindly see the MRI report of my relative and guide us.

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

This is regarding my relative. My relative had a seizure attack and fits before a year. We consulted a doctor and started medicine. During the course, the patient reported some slight pain in his head. A week later he started complaining of severe headache with vomiting. So, a CT scan has been done.

I consulted a neurologist here in icliniq with the reports and his answer is as follows. CT scan shows a mass lesion in the right parietal lobe. To find out the nature of this mass and to decide the course of treatment, we need to do an MRI. If the mass turns out to be venous infarct, then that can be managed with medical management. But, if the mass turns out to be a tumor, then surgery may be needed.

Now, he had an MRI of the brain. We would be happy if you could take a look. Thanks in advance.

#

• The functional MRI and tractography reports are enclosed (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it reads that it is a known case of tumor.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist 

I have attached the MRI images. We will be happy if you can provide your feedback.

#

Thank you for sending the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is a tumor in the right parietal lobe and it is relatively a large one. It is causing the mass effect and pressure on surrounding brain.
  • Immediate steps are to be taken to treat this tumor. Medical management is difficult for such a tumor.
  • I would like to know if you can share any details of proposed treatment provided to you by treating doctor.

Revert back with the details to a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

The surgery has been done. Please find the reports and admission details attached. Is the patient safe? Are there any problems that might occur in the future? How about recurrence? How should we take care of the patient?

#

Hope the patient is doing well and feeling better after surgery (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• To be honest with you, the tumor in the patient is an aggressive one, which means the patient requires a lot of care and follow up treatment. Please discuss the details with the treating doctor because such a tumor is known to occur again and the life of the patient is at risk.
  • Though the patient will start feeling good, there are chances that the tumor might come back in 6 months to a year. At the same time, you should discuss regarding radiation therapy and any requirement of chemotherapy to control recurrence.
  • If the patient develops any seizure, weakness, vomiting or headache over weeks to months, then it should be reported to the doctor.
  • In the above circumstances patient should stay in a big town or city where continuous monitoring of health is possible.
  • I request you not to directly disclose to the patient regarding the recurrence chances and allow the treating doctor to explain it to the patient in a way that will not cause anxiety and stress.

Thank you for the feedback. We will follow your instructions.

#

My best wishes to you and your patient. Take care of him.

|