Q. Please explain MRI taken for head, neck, and sinuses.

Dr. Vivek Chail

I need a report on MRI done for head, neck, and sinuses. Kindly help.

#

There is mild deviation of the nasal septum with convexity to the left of the mid line (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a mucosal polyp in the right maxillary sinus and minimal mucosal thickening. There is mild opacification of the bilateral ethmoid sinuses. There are multiple small bilateral cervical level Ia, Ib and II lymph nodes. Neck lymph nodes are commonly due to infections of the head and neck area and even mild infections can be the cause of few enlarged reactive lymph nodes.

I forgot to mention I have whistling in my ears and occasional pressure in ears. Some headache. Would anything in these images explain it, especially that ear whistling or tinnitus? In the head images, image number 11 from the left, titled MPR auxiliary images taken at 9:13 AM, two instances. There is an arrow pointing towards what appears to be the hypothalamus. Could you please clarify why that arrow is there and what it is pointing to? Would you recommend any clinical follow-up for the mild opacification of the bilateral ethmoid sinuses? Could you clarify what that is?

#

The arrow is pointing below the third ventricle, the ventricle is mildly prominent and as such it is not of any serious concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, the mildly prominent prevascular spaces in the bilateral basal ganglia area are visualized in many normal people. The internal ear structures are normal in both ears.

The sinusitis is mild and does not require any active intervention but repeated sinus infection might need a course of antibiotics to clear the sinuses of any infection. This can cause the lymph nodes in the neck area.

|