Q. What is the correct method of using MTP kit to terminate pregnancy?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana
Published on Jun 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I want to use Gestapro MTP kit to terminate my pregnancy. Please share the method to have it.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

Family Physician Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Firstly, get a pregnancy test done. Then an ultrasound of early pregnancy to see the baby shadow is in the uterus and not outside. The pregnancy should be less than seven weeks. You have to go to a gynecologist for a prescription and take it under her guidance as it is not allowed to buy it over the counter.

Its success rate is 96 to 97 % and the failure rate is 3 to 4 % and may require D and C if fails. In the kit there are two drugs, one is Mefipristone 200 mg one stat dose is taken orally on day-1 and on day-3. Then there are four tablets of Misoprostol 200 mcg each. It is either inserted in the vagina (put few drops of water on the tablet to wet it or kept under the tongue). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent.

You will have cramps in the abdomen and bleeding will start after four to six hours and will last for five to six days. It will be like your periods or slightly heavier than that. But, if you have heavy bleeding, then report to the doctor immediately.

Second follow-up will be after two weeks to see that everything is clear and nothing is retained inside (can occur if you bleed irregularly).

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How do I use the MTP Kit? Is it effective?

Query: Hello doctor, The period cycle of my fiancee falls on the 1st of every month. We had sex on the 13th and the 14th. She missed her periods this time and had a pregnancy test, which came back positive. She took a single tablet of Mifepristone at 2 p.m. The medical person asked her to take the first ...  Read Full »

Is medical abortion advisable after C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now. Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug? Do we have to consult ...  Read Full »

What are the uses of Misoprostol?

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain me the uses of Misoprostol.  Read Full »