Q. I am a 31-year-old male, and I noticed a speck of blood in my stool. Is it due to colon cancer?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 07, 2021

I went to toilet last week and noticed a tiny speck of blood while wiping. I am not sure whether it was blood. Yesterday, I went to the toilet in the morning and noticed a dark maroon-type substance mixed with my stool while wiping. On other wipes, it was not present. So I became sad and examined my toilet paper. It looked like a fresh chili which I ate at night. I need expert advice.

#

I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The image taken before a week does not show any blood. Yesterday's photo shows a jelly-type material or mucus. But this does not look like blood. I agree that this is a part of your food. It can be red chili taken last night. It remains undigested and it came back in stools. There is a presence of some mucus. It has an orange tinge than red and it does not tan the rest of the stools. Spices in meals act as irritants and increase the secretion of rectal glands. It is a specialized gland that secretes mucus or jelly-like substances. Blood occuring in stools covers the entire stool and it occurs in the toilet bowl too.

Can I have chili covered with a bit of clear mucus? You told me that presence of blood would cover the entire stool and it would appear on the toilet bowl too. After my first wipe, nothing appeared on my subsequent wipes. But if it was something serious, can I have some symptoms? While I visited my gastroenterologist, his question was about my altered bowel habits.

#

Cancer of the rectum or colon often presents with varied symptoms and not just blood. So you do not have blood in stools.

Whenever I pass food in stool, I always think for a speck of blood. I fail to understand that cancer occurs rarely at 31 years of age. If you have 100 patients, two to three of them can have cancer. Is this correct?

#

Out of 100 patients in early thirty years, there is presence of only 0.06% with cancer.

So among 1,350 patients, you can see only one person of thirty years with cancer.

#

Approximately, it is correct.

Blood in stools occurs infrequently in my condition on comparing to testicular cancer.

#

It occurs rarely in early thirty-aged individuals. In fifty year old persons, the risk is 0.5%.

I hope that you are safe.

#

Yes, I am safe and well by god's grace. I hope that you and your family members are safe.

All my family members are well and thanks for asking.

#

Take good care of yourself and your family. This COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) situation will resolve soon.

|