Q. Is it normal to have mucus covered stool in a child?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

My son is (2 years old) and his poop has a large mucoid wrapped around his stool. It stopped for two days and I noticed it again today. He has not been on any medication. No obvious blood stains and he has been active with no abdominal pain. Please, I would like to know if this is a thing of concern, could it be something from his diet? I am so scared and worried.

#

Yes, I got your concern. Let me help you. From all these available information what I can say is that if he is active, playful, and eating well then just do not worry. Some toddlers have such kind of problems. If he continues to do so then will do stool routine report if anything is there.

Give him home food only, monitor his weight. If he develops tummy pain, vomiting, bleeding or fever, go for the nearby medical facility. Meanwhile, check it if he has been deworming Albendazole or not? If not then give tablet Albendazole 200 mg at night and repeat the same dose after a week.

Thank you so much doctor for your prompt response. I just remembered that about two days before his first stool that appeared mucoid, I gave him 100 mg Albendazole at morning and a 100 mg the following morning. I gave him when I noticed his constant avoidance to swallow his saliva. Please, I would like to know if the mucoid could have been as a result of the tablet Albendazole I gave him two days before? Or could that mucus be worm? Also, would like to know if I should still give another 200 mg after one week. Thank you so much as I await your kind response.

#

Well, it is unlikely. Just wait and watch if there are any symptoms of which I mentioned above. According to WHO protocol, deworming requires 400 mg Albendazole so you can repeat 200 mg Albendazole next week.

|