Q. I am having hip pain due to playing squash. Please advice.

Answered by
Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jul 03, 2018

Hello doctor,

I used to have a long-term groin injury from playing badminton which caused jarring pain which ended up me having to stop for a while. I have not played badminton for four years so the groin injury subsided by whenever my groin is stretched it is always tender and has a lot less range of motion compared to the other side. I took up squash a year ago and have been playing at quite a good or intense level five times a week. In the last week, I have had quite a bad hip pain on the same side as my old groin injury. The groin injury has not come back (i.e. jarring, pain, etc.) since starting squash but it has still remained a bit tender when stretched with less range of motion than the other side. The hip pain has started getting bad at night three days ago and affecting my sleep so I have therefore stopped playing. I have been doing resistance band exercises I found online for adductors, abductors, etc., with stretching groin, hamstrings, etc., but has not got better (although it has only been three days). It is a dull ache for most of the day which only goes if I take Ibuprofen and does seem worse at night. The hip pain is fairly central but more on the outside.

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

Fitness Expert Physiotherapy


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have understood your concern about groin pain. See you need to give sufficiently enough time for healing of adductor muscles tendons, which is getting worsened by repeatedly stretching. No doubt that you need more range of motion, but the first choice is to promote healing and decrease the pain, so for that, you need to take physiotherapy treatment, like ultrasound with ice and laser therapy, which helps in healing. then gradually after 20 days, you may start with exercises.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the cause of shoulder pain and how to treat it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a track athlete and yesterday in training I did some bench press, short sprints, push-ups and core work. I warmed down and stretched. I woke up this morning with pain in my right shoulder and halfway through the day, this pain is getting worse. What is a possible cause of this and ...  Read Full »

The back of my right leg is paining after a fall. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,I fell at my work yesterday. The doctor said that there is no fracture, but the back of my right leg is hurting. Please help.  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in penis after masturbating?

Query: Hello doctor, I pressed my penis hard while masturbating by something yesterday due to which my upper part of the penis is having pain. There is no scratch on the upper part, no problem in urine passing or bleeding but still paining. What can this be?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.