Q. What causes muscle spasms while doing sudden movements?

I am 25 years old,male. I am getting wierd type of muscle spasms since past 15 years. Those spasm gets triggered when I do sudden movements like when suddenly get up from chair and start walking, I get spams. It lasts for 5 to 10 seconds. Spasms look like my legs and hands are rapidly contracting and cramping just like tetanic cramps. I consulted neurologist and he told me that those spasms are due to deficiency of vitamin D which leads to poor absorption of calcium. He has given me Vitamin D treatment for six months and told me that my spasm will completely vanish. One month has passed since I have started the treatment and I am seeing improvements. Still I get spasm but intensity has reduced. Still 5 months to go. So will I get rid of them? I am feeling anxious about them. Please give me your opinion.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I must assure you that you are in right hand and right thing communicated to you about the tetanic spasms which you are experiencing for the last 15 years. Majority of patients (read all) show good response to Vitamin D supplementation when there is deficiency and same can be hoped in your case. I would like to add something at this level. Since you are taking Vitamin D but not the Calcium. This leads to inadequate calcium to absorb and low calcium and spasms.

Talk to your neurologist to add Calcium or increase at least 500 to 1000 mg per day. This will ensure that there is enough calcium to absorb since absorbing machinery is overworking due to supplementation of Vitamin D. The Calcium supplementation is likely to cut short the duration of symptoms.

|