Q. Is it advisable to use TENS to improve muscle pain?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

I played volleyball on Monday night and everything was fine but then I played squash on Tuesday night. My glutes were really really sore on Wednesday. Just deep muscle soreness, But I chalked it up to not having played in 9 months. Then I played volleyball Wednesday night too. And things were really sore. Thursday my left glute started hurting around 2 PM and by 10 PM I could not walk at all. So much pain. I have been taking hydromorphone, and oxycodone and Celebrex anti inflammatory pills all night and day Friday and today. Not getting better. It is either a really good strain or a tear. I have iced it, I have got my home tens unit on it right now and often throughout the day/night.

This feels like it is the exact same muscle that I hurt at the rehab center three years back and it really hurts. It feels like my Glute Minimus maybe. On Thursday I used my massage chair, hot tub, foam roller, trigger point lacrosse ball and my massage gun on it. I am thinking that digging into the injury that much probably made it worse or aggravated it. Sorry, so here is my question.

I have dry needled in the past and it has helped a lot, but is it okay to dry needle if it is a torn glute muscle or even a strain? The tens machine seems to take some of the pain away, but could my tens be making things worse? Also, I have been in bed laid up all day and night yesterday, literally only crawling to the bathroom and back. I was hoping that staying off of it a few days will make it better but I am not sure what else I can do. Since it is the weekend and the clinic is closed, I was gonna look around for a mobile physiotherapist to come to my place and maybe dry needle me or other therapy for some pain relief? I honestly do not think I could climb into a car to drive anywhere. Otherwise I will stay in bed for the weekend and hope that enough of the pain is gone and I can go into the clinic and see someone on Monday.

#

From the history it sounds more of a muscle strain or you can say it as DOMS which is sometimes common as one lands or take a flight for taking up the shot but the pain is not reducing, is not making things clear, whether it is a DOMS or muscle strain as both of it should resolve within 3-4 days of time.

So what I can advice is continue with TENS and take proper rest. TENS will never make the injury worse. Its a modality for reducing the pain. I will advice to take TENS for almost 30-40 minutes, 3-4 times a day and allow a complete bed rest without doing much mobility. We can expect the pain to come down drastically. In case after a day or two of applying TENS for 30-40 minutes if the pain still persist we need to look for other factors but rest is what is needed without having much mobility in the muscle.

| 

I have pain in neck, hand, and weakness due to degenerative changes. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with the degenerative changes in the cervical and many more things. I am attaching the MRI report also. Symptoms include pain in neck, shoulder, hand, weakness, dizziness. I cannot sleep properly, cannot sit for a long time. I have also consulted with some doctor but no...  Read Full »

How to deal with lack of interest in sex due to work tension?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 years old woman. I have been working in an IT industry for more than 10 years. Earlier I was very confident, proud of my work and job. But now it seems like I am developing negative confidence, building tensions every few seconds, will cry out of tension, will blame myself f...  Read Full »

Why do my kidneys hurt when I cough?

Query: Hello doctor, Five years ago, I had a kidney stone but it was small and went through the urine. Now, the problem is, I got common cold, fever, and cough. Common cold and fever were gone after taking medicine but the cough remains. I thought it will be alright after some time but it did not get bett...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now