Q. Please suggest a way to cure my elbow and shoulder pain.

Dr. Thomas Jefferson
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I have had pain in my right elbow and shoulder for a couple of weeks. I lift heavy weights and workout every day. I am doing this for many years, so this is nothing new. But, it is agony now to hold the bar in squats. If I am lying on the floor with the elbow at 90 degrees, I cannot put the rest of my arm on the floor. Also, wearing a sports bra, etc., hurts me and I cannot rotate my arm to try and reach my back. When I am sleeping, I tend to wake up with my arms straight out and above my head, since this is the least painful position. The last day, it is also painful to just stand with my arm straight down, feels like something is ripping across from above my sternum to my deltoid. Is there anything you can do to help this? Either exercises or stretches, which one will be helpful? I cannot recall anything happening during a workout as that has caused this.

#

I am glad to respond to your query.

1. Overstraining in the gym.
2. Lifting weights that are too heavy for your shoulders and arms.
3. In the absence of the above, it may be because of insufficient healing time (rest) after a minor injury.

Ultrasound shoulder would be sufficient and can get an MRI if warranted.

Pectoralis major muscle strain.

Ice application and rest.

1. Prevent any position of the limb that hurts your shoulder. Keep the arm supported.
2. Stop visiting the gym for at least three weeks or till the pain subsides and be regular with your medicines.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|