Q. Why do I have tightness and rubbing feeling down the outside of my thigh?

Dr. Thomas Jefferson

I am a runner and was training for a marathon till about three weeks ago noticed tightness and rubbing feeling down the outside of my thigh. I had a sports massage and they said it was my IT band. I felt better after the massage and have managed a few 3 to 4 miles run since then which feel fine when I am running but when I am not, it still feels uncomfortable behind my knee like a tight rubbing feeling if I bend it. Really frustrated. What can it be? Have been doing ITB stretches on it for the past week now but still does not feel like it is getting any better. I had a problem with IT band about five years ago.

Dr. Thomas Jefferson

Physiotherapy
#

The problem you are having is IT (iliotibial) band tightness. Stretching would help a lot but it does not help everyone. You may start strengthening your core muscles and also the hip joint muscles. Work more on the quadriceps medialis muscles that is the inner thigh muscles. Have your gait analyzed by a physiotherapist. If it brings out any strength deficiencies, then the weak muscles can be strengthened restoring normalcy in the system. Sometimes the problem in the ankle may also predispose you to IT band tightness. If you need any further clarifications you may contact me.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

I have pain and clicking of joints Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a joint pain with lots of clicking. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is only 1 or 2. But, the clicking is to the point where it is annoying. Also, my ankle hurts a lot for no apparent reason. I do not know if this is relevant, but my foot used to turn in.  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now