Q. Did I get an intermittent twitch in my legs, calves, and thighs because of my asymmetrical thighs?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I have an intermittent twitch in both legs, calves, and thighs. I think it happens when I am anxious or stressed at work. But I am not sure how long I had the twitches and, it worsens if I focus on it. I searched online about ALS and just also noticed that one of my thighs is 1.5 to 2 cm smaller than other, so even more concerned based on atrophy in ALS. I have no weakness. Recently, I had a health check-up and, all the reflex is good and, blood levels are clear. Currently, I am taking medications for asthma. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I would like to explain that your symptoms could be related to anxiety or benign fasciculation syndrome. Anyway, I suggest the following:

1) Check vitamin D, vitamin B12 plasma levels, and thyroid hormone levels for thyroid gland dysfunction.

2) Measure with a meter that both the thighs in the same level to determine if there is any significant difference.

You should know that all bodies are asymmetrical, and this is not a disease. If asymmetrical legs are associated with weakness in the thinner leg, I also suggest nerve conduction studies should be done.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for the reply. I have no weakness in any leg or body but my thigh circumference is around 1 to 2 cm difference. The mid point of the thigh may be 1.5 to 2 cm (my left thigh is the thinnest). I have seen that in motor neuron disease, atrophy comes before weakness, but I am not sure. So, I am worried. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. Usually, the leg thinning starts distally in the calves, not in the thighs, and it is symmetrical in ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). A pinched nerve can cause asymmetrical thinning in the thighs. On the other hand, thinning goes parallel to muscle weakness. For this reason, I suggest performing nerve conduction studies just to put your mind to ease, as, in my opinion, nothing serious seems to be going on.

I hope you understand.

|