Q. I have twitches occasionally. Do I need to worry?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

Almost a year ago, when I was on holiday, I had twitching in my right upper arm. It appeared as a kind of jolt rapidly. It came and went for over a week and finally went. When I was on sunbed and it suddenly started. Five months later it appeared exactly in the same place for about two weeks. Some days it was not there and few days it used to be present. But, it is very annoying. I visited a doctor and after assessment he said not to worry. It would go in time and it is not a nasty disease. And then it use to come and go in an interval of three or four months. Now, for all this time I think I have been having an occasional twitch here and there which just seems to go like in my elbows or around my knee, etc. But, I did have five or six jolts in the exact muscle on the other arm the other day. Now, I do not have any weakness or atrophy. I am sure my anxiety is making it worse when I look into internet. I just want to know whether this is common. Should I worry about this? I do not have any twitching at the moment. Please help.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all I like to assure you that what you are experiencing is common ailment which occurs in almost half of population.
  • As your doctor said it will go over time holds completely true and there is nothing to worry.
  • The twitches can occur in any area of body, but mostly affect the muscles which are superficial and not much fat is there.
  • I understand your concern that some serious illness present with only twitch, but you need to understand that same disease do not show appearance and disappearance pattern and stay there.
  • In addition, they cause severe impairment in functioning over a period of few months. Additionally, most of those illnesses have some family history which is probably absent in your case. I am assuming so as I do not have family history data.
  • Considering all these facts, I am of the opinion that the twitches you feel are the normal twitches and there you need to stop worrying about them.
  • Regarding the management, it is very important to manage your stress to the optimum level. Stress is the most common factor for such abnormal muscle contraction. If you are not following any stress management protocol, then please develop one that is suitable for you.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Now I understood that the interval pattern of twitching is more common. One more doubt is, will I get any other symptom later?

#

• Your interpretation is right that your symptoms are not indication of serious illness.
  • In addition, neuromuscular disorders of serious nature present mostly in older population rather than a person of 45 years of age.
  • The current symptomatology, absence of genetic loading, your age, association of twitches with stress and absence of other symptoms over a year point against any serious pathology and there is nothing to worry.

| 

I have a constant headache after a head injury. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a head injury last week. I started doing normal activities after five days, but now I have a constant headache. I have an exam later this month. What should I do?  Read Full »

I have pain,extreme fatigue,unsteadiness and muscle twitching.I do not know if all these symptoms are related to one issue or more.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this problem for 8 years with no proper solutions. Please help. Strange sensations, tiredness, feeling of heaviness in the arms and legs. Hands and feet become warm. I have an electrical shock like feeling in face. I have extreme fatigue, unsteadiness and muscle twitching...  Read Full »

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full »