Q. I have twitching in my legs. Do you think it is ALS?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Jun 30, 2018

I have a question about twitching in my legs.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Muscle twitching can be related to differential medical disorders:

1. Neuropathy (nerve damage)
  2. Thyroid gland dysfunction.
  3. Electrolyte imbalances.
  4. Muscular disorders.
  5. Epilepsy (seizures) or central nervous system disorders.
  6. Benign fasciculation syndrome, etc.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist for a physical exam and performing some tests:

1. A nerve conduction study.
  2. Thyroid hormone levels.
  3. Complete blood count.
  4. Blood electrolytes.
  5. Vitamin D levels for possible deficiency.

Further tests may be needed. You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Do you think it is ALS? I am really scared about this.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

As you can see, there are a lot of disorders that may mimic such symptoms. For this reason, it is important to perform the above-recommended tests.

Nerve conduction studies would help exclude ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or neuropathy.

I will be glad to review your tests as soon as you can upload them.

I went to my PCP today and he did some tests on me.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I agree with your physician that a normal physical exam can help exclude a lot of disorders. But, I would recommend performing thyroid hormone levels, vitamin B12 and vitamin D plasma levels, and blood electrolytes to exclude any possible metabolic disorders.

I would also advise performing nerve conduction studies just to be sure that everything is alright.

You think he would have told me if he thought it was ALS, right? Sorry, I have really been worrying myself to death.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

• ALS patients have a lot of other symptoms and an abnormal physical exam. So, I agree with your doctor that there is nothing to worry about.
  • Anyway, I would recommend performing the above-mentioned tests, just to be sure that everything is fine and definitely put your mind to peace.

I had the EMG done. He said it was normal. He did not give me the results, just a paper that said I was fine.

Can I put aside my fears from a neurological issue? I am still trying to figure out how to stop these twitches. He insists it is BFS.

What do you think? Can I trust my EMG results? It was done by a different doctor whose specialty it was.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

• Thank you for the additional information. I am glad that the EMG resulted normal, as we can definitely exclude ALS or neuropathy. It does not matter if the test was performed by another doctor, because this is a reliable test for these disorders with a high sensibility and specificity.
  • Anyway, I would also recommend checking vitamin D and vitamin B12 plasma levels, coupled with thyroid hormone levels, in order to exclude these metabolic disorders, which may trigger this clinical scenario.
  • If these tests result normal, we can discuss about the treatment.
  • Anyway, you should know that treatment in case of benign fasciculation syndrome is not always effective and it should be started only in cases of continuous and generalized fasciculations, which interfere with the patients daily activity.

In this regard, Carbamazepine or Clonazepam may be started by your doctor.

Are my muscle fasciculations pointing towards ALS?

Query: Hello doctor,I have some symptoms that worry me a lot. I have been having muscle fasciculations all over my body (hands, arms, feet, legs, chest wall, glutes, knees, and cheek), every day, multiple times, for about half a year. Recently, (for about two weeks) they have worsened and I twitch almost c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Besides, at your age, this diagnosis would be exceptional. I agree with your doctor that benign fasciculation syndrome seems to be th...  Read Full

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a peripheral neuropathy. They could be related to a bulging disc in the cervical vertebral column. That is why it is necessary to perform a cervical spine MRI study. MS (multipl...  Read Full

I get tremors in my chin that lasts only for a second. Is it something serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25. Since three days, I have been experiencing sensations like twitches/ jerks/ tremors specifically in my chin area. I noticed that when I talk, eat or when something falls down from my hand suddenly, I get a tremor in my chin. They last for a second only. I went to a doctor (no...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. From what you mentioned, you most likely have what is called benign fasciculation syndrome which is usually due to stress and anxiety. You should not worry, it is benign and you do not have to perform MRI or any other investigations. Do...  Read Full