Q. Is continuous twitching worrisome?

Published on Oct 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

had intermittent twitching all over my body for the last two months. I finally went to see my GP and he ran a plethora of blood tests and said that my vitamin B12, iron, and vitamin D were all really low. Since starting my vitamin supplements two days ago, the twitching has subsided significantly. For the last two days or so, I have just been noticing minor twitching in my left hand that will happen three to four times a day for around 10 seconds. But, there is no weakness. I have been paranoid and freaking out for the past two months over life threatening neurological diseases like ALS. I also had a creatine kinase done and my levels were well within normal range. I am just wondering if this twitching continues, then is it something to be alarmed?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I have gone through the provided details and understand your concerns.

• It can be proved that your concern is really paranoid (no offense) and there is no substance for such thoughts. I mean to say that this is unfounded belief and there is no rational for at least today.
  • The reason against ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or any other neurological disorder is they are unlikely to respond to vitamins and minerals, which is not in your case.
  • None of the disorder presents with isolated twitching at 25 years of age.
  • You did not mention any family history and I assume it is negative. This again goes in favor of no serious neurological disorder.
  • Twitching can be a normal symptom and occurs in almost 30% of young peoples. There is nothing abnormal with isolated twitching.
  • Any serious disorder will cause weakness which is absent in your case. I hope this assures you that there is nothing serious and there is an urgent need to put worries away.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for the quick response. As I said the twitching has gotten better after starting my routine vitamin supplement. I was twitching all over before two months. It was over my hands, arms, tongue, legs, etc., which concerned me. There is no family history and no weakness. I just wanted to be re-assured that with my creatine kinase being normal along with my reflexes.

#

• Considering no family history, normal CPK level and no weakness you can get doubly assured that it is a simple twitching resulted from nutritional deficiency.
  • The only thing that I need to state here is to take care to prevent any such recurrences by eating healthy and incorporating all nutrients in your diet.
  • I mean to state that along with diet make stress management as a habit and never ignore it as far as possible.

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

Which vitamin to take for premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor,I did a test. I got my results that my erection transmitter is 2.99, testosterone is 4.459. vitamins E, K, and C are also slightly low. Could this be the reason I have premature ejaculation? At times, I also have a weak erection after one ejaculation. What should I take to treat these? Tha...  Read Full »