Q. I am feeling muscle and joint pain after playing rugby. Is this normal?

Published on Apr 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2019

I am a 22 year old female. I was playing touch rugby two days ago. It just so happens, and I have not exercised in a while now. I am having severe lower back pain, muscular and  joint pains around my thighs. Today is the second day, and I am still feeling the pain. Is this normal? Do I need to seek medical attention?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It is probably a muscle soreness due to sudden activities following prolonged inactivity. It usually takes a week to resolve without medicine.
  • However, I suggest you tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg or Diclofenac 50 mg whenever needed up to two times a day along with some antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for three days.
  • I also suggest Diclofenac gel or spray for local application two times a day. Also, have hot water fomentation two to three times a day.
  • If it responds in a day or two, then it is fine. Otherwise, you should visit a doctor for examination and x-ray lumber spine, anteroposterior and lateral view.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Prevention of Joint Pain in Old Age

Article Overview: Joint pain in old age is a major concern that should not be ignored. Most of us suffer from knee pain or back pain after an age. If we follow simple measures in daily routine then most of these conditions can be prevented. Read Article

Dr. Tiwari

Knee joint pain and backache especially in the lumbar region is a very common problem. Almost every one suffers from these problems in life either because of unhealthy lifestyle or some disease. In most cases, these are preventable and treatable, but due to lack of knowledge most people suffer from ...  Read Article

How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Ibuprofen is a strong painkiller, it should not often be taken, as it has many side effects like gastritis, liver and kidney damage. But in initial days of pain following rib fracture, pain is actually very severe. I suggest you try doing the following: Tram...  Read Full

I feel dizzy and nauseous after taking two Ibuprofen tablets. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 18 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs and 5.4 feet tall. I take birth control pills every night, along with two 500 mcg Biotin and two 500 mg cranberry pills. Tonight, I had a headache, so I accidentally took two 800 mg Ibuprofen tablets without thinking about it. I feel extremel...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You do not need to worry about any of these symptoms. Let me explain. Biotin and Cranberry are health supplements, they do not affect the body adversely. Birth control pills, regularize the hormonal status in the body. So, they have no effect too. But f...  Read Full