Q. I have been suffering from muscle tightness, pain and knots everywhere. Please help.

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

For the past four years, I have been suffering from debilitating muscle tightness and pain. I have muscle knots or taut bands everywhere in my body. They can be felt with the fingers. I have tried all conventional therapy without success. As a last resort, I want to try a 1 to 2 week trial on neuromuscular relaxants to try and relax my muscle. The problem started after I had an allergic reaction to a pill. After that, my muscle started spasming, and they remained that way ever since. I did multiple CT scans and MRIs and lots of blood work, all came negative.

Please help.

#

As per your history, my provisional diagnosis would be

1. Myofascial pain syndrome (MPS)

2. Fibromyalgia with little more inclination towards MPS.

Both are chronic painful conditions. You have tried all oral muscle relaxants, antidepressants, anticholinergics, and antianxiety meds. As you are suffering from chronic pain, other nonpharmacologic modalities of treatments like physiotherapy exercises, ultrasound therapy, massage therapy, and yoga meditation will help you reduce the severity of pain and improve your general well-being, Though they will not relieve pain to zero. Also, a psychologist's opinion would help deviate your mind or attention towards things that are relaxing to the mind. At sites of severe pain and contracture, Botox injections may be helpful but only after specialist consultation. Chronic pain conditions have always been a matter of interest in medicine, but still, more research is needed to understand their pathophysiology and treatment. Pain waxes and wanes for short to long periods throughout life. Another thing I would advise trying to look at other faces of life a happier one. Concentrate on same for the maximum time possible.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have also tried physiotherapy exercises and all the others. I am in a very dire situation, and I cannot go longer like this. I am only asking for medicine for a relatively short time, and I strongly think it will help me. If you know any anesthetist who can do this procedure, I would appreciate it if you inform me. Let me know if you or any other anesthetist you know of could do this procedure. I have no other pre-existing conditions, and I will take any risk to get better.

#

Let me tell you. Neuromuscular blockers (NMB) are drugs that will paralyze you completely from head to toe. You will not be able to even blink, and you cannot breathe. So a patient will be completely motionless but still conscious inside. So along with NMB, he will require drugs that will cause unconsciousness. That is, you will need complete general anesthesia. Also, since you cannot breathe with NMBs in your circulation, you will need an endotracheal tube in your windpipe and will require a ventilator to give you much-needed oxygen and mechanical breaths. So entire procedure is more complicated than you think. Also, NMB will only relax you for as long as they are in circulation. Once they are removed from the liver and kidneys, you will be back to the same as previous. Though you are willing to pour money, you will not be satisfied at all as pain will always be there. Please consult a psychiatrist or psychologist, or pain physician rather than an anesthesiologist.

|