Q. Will I have withdrawal symptoms if I start taking Naltrexone pills at home?

If I take Naltrexone pills at home, will I be able to detoxify faster by taking tablet Suboxone 8 mg once daily compared to low-dose tablet Naltrexone? For how long will I have to take these pills?

#

I understand your concern.

If you take tablet Naltrexone alone without tablet Buprenorphine, then this will result in immediate withdrawal and this can land you in hospital. If you are not on high-dose then compared to low-dose tablet Naltrexone, this will help. Naltrexone will help to reduce craving and will prevent relapse. Tapering from drugs should be slow and this will help in maintaining drug-free phase.

Hope this is helpful. Kindly follow-up for more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

If I start taking tablet Naltrexone the day after I take my last tablet Suboxone then I should detox rather fast. Can you please give me an estimated timeframe?

#

Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist drug. This drug occupies all opioid receptors so any opioid drug in body will have no pleasure actions like Buprenorphine or any other drug of abuse. Onset of action is about in a half an hour so the drug will show effects immediately. In our out-patient-department, we advise patients to stop any kind of opioids for at least a week before advising them to take Naltrexone, because this might precipitate significant withdrawal symptoms. Hope this is helpful.

|