Q. How to confirm nose fracture?

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

While playing volleyball game today, I think my nose hit my teammate's leg when we were going after the ball. Now, my nose hurts. When I try to move it, I hear a cracking noise. Also, I think it is swollen. Would my nose be broken? Should I meet my athletic trainer?

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• A cracking noise and a swollen nose are suggestive of a broken nose. It means there could be a fracture in the nasal bones.
  • Another symptom would be bleeding from the nose at the time of injury. In case of a nasal fracture there will be a lot of swelling over the nose.
  • You can apply an ice pack over the nose to decrease the swelling. If there is any external deformity, then you will need surgical correction to realign the nasal bones once the swelling has subsided.
  • You must go and see your athletic trainer at the earliest.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|