Q. My baby is 5 days old, and her nose is congested. What can I do to help her?

Dr. Prakash Chandra Girdhar Lal Nagar

My baby is 5 days old, and her nose is congested. What can I do to help her?

#

Use these nasal drops:

Normal saline nasal drops two drops in each nostril every four hours. Keep the head of the baby a bit low while instilling drops. There is no need for any other medication at this age. Keep a watch for her feeding.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply doctor.

Do I need to use a nebulizer too? Also, I just want to mention that her elder brother has cold and cough too. I am afraid that she got it from him.I do not have saline nasal drops at this moment and it is 3:30 am. What can I do for the meantime?

#

I can understand your concern. If she is feeding well and active, there is no need for any nebulizer or other medication. Keep a watch on her breathing. In case she is not feeding or any difficulty in breathing, then it will require further assessment. So at present, just use nasal drops to keep the nostrils open so she can breathe properly and feed well. Also, try to keep her elder sibling at a distance to avoid further infection.

Take care.

Thanks for the kind reply.

#

Keep a eye on her feeding, if it is normal then you can wait. If she has difficulty in feeding then you have to get the saline drops from 24-hour pharmacy.

Thank you so much.

#

You are most welcome.

Take care.

|