Q. What causes nausea and vomiting without any underlying condition?

Dr. Jagdish Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jun 19, 2019

My wife has nausea, vomting episodes that are not related to conditions, for example she can eat and feel nauseated or vomit after an hour or two or not feel anything. Then a few days later it can happen again. It comes and goes and is not stable, or triggered by certain conditions. It is totally random mostly. She gave birth to twins with a CS and was on Prontogest supplement for 7.5 months.

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

She may have repeated biliary colics or recurrent attacks of gastritis or may have urinary tract infections. So, she needs urine routine test, liver function test for further comments.

Alright, they will come out shortly and I will send them, but the 6 mm thinckneess of the gallbladder wall, are we looking at a possible surgery for removal?

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Yes, it suggests chronic cholecystitis. She should undergo surgery. If the pain is in abdomen in right upper quadrant associated with nausea and vomiting.

There is no pain at all, and the nausea, vomiting is not regular, it comes and goes, for example she did not throw up or feel nauseated for 48 hours now. Is surgery still needed?

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
# No at present but it should be planned because normal GB wall thickness is less then 3 mm. It suggests some inflammation is ongoing there for long time.

So she should underwent surgery but it can be planned according to your convince.
Here is the test results. Please update me about the opinion based on those and I would also like to know if the amalyse level is acceptable.

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Only positive finding of UTI is there. Yes, both amylase and lipase are normal. So, now our plan is to continue with antibiotics and should modify as per urine culture report once becomes available. Should plan laparoscopic cholecystectomy in future.

Why is my WBC count persistently borderline high?

Query: Hello doctor, My main concerns are persistent borderline high blood values for the last two years. WBC count 14.5 *10^9/L, neutrophil count 8*10^9 and lymphocytes count 5.3*10^9/L (lab normal for lymphocyte between 1-4.8). Other parameters are mostly normal. Main symptoms are currently upper abdomin...  Read Full »

I feel like I have a bubble in my chest. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male, I have been to the ER twice in the past two weeks for a bubbling sensation that starts at the base of my sternum and goes up my esophagus, mostly when I am sitting or lying down. On the first visit they did a complete blood workup, EKG, and x-ray, everything was ...  Read Full »

With respiratory problem, is it wise to plan gallbladder operation?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother was diagnosed to have acute cholecystitis. She is 65 years old and is suffering from respiratory and heart problem. One mild stroke also happened around two years back. She had recently failed pulmonary function test. Will it be wise to plan gallbladder operation? Please reply.  Read Full »