Q. I experience extreme imbalance while standing with terrible neck pain. Kindly help.

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am 21 years old and I am suffering from neck pain. I have pain on the left and right sides of the neck. The pain increases when I move my neck. I experience extreme imbalance while standing. My head seems to be rolling when I try to stand up and down and my neck pain increases a lot. I have heaviness on the backside of my head always. I consulted an orthopedic doctor. After diagnosing the cervical spine X-ray report, he told me that I have cervical spondylosis. He gave some medicines and provided some instructions. He told me to have a follow up after two weeks. I had these medicines and followed the instructions. But all measures do not show a good result. After two weeks, I visited the doctor for a second time and informed him. I am still not cured and I am feeling unwell. Then he advised me to use a cervical collar. I started using it. But still, my problems are not resolved. I still have the symptoms. I am a student and I am unable to concentrate on my studies due to this problem. Please provide me a solution. I am attaching the X-ray reports and prescriptions. Please help me to overcome this hard time.

#

I am not sure that you have cervical spondylosis at twenty one years and your attached X-rays (attachement removed to protect patient identity) are not convincing. Your symptoms are suggestive of possible disc problems and you should have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the neck to rule out the cause. If the MRI is normal, then your neck pain is of muscular origin and you need strengthening exercises.

You need to have improvement of the thoracic spine and shoulder posture to help with your neck pain. If the MRI is normal, then the dizzy spells you are getting are most likely from an ENT (ear, nose, throat) problem and you should see an ENT specialist. Also, you continue taking tablet Trinerve LC (Levocarnitine, Methylcobalmin, and Folid acid) for at least six weeks to see a good effect. You should discard using a neck collar. You can take Voveran SR 75 mg (Diclofenac) twice a day. You should get an MRI of the neck soon.

I have done an MRI of the neck. I do not have an ENT problem as I have visited the ENT specialist. He examined me and told me that I do not have an ENT problem. Now, my problem grows rapidly. I feel tired and I have pain in my hands and legs always. I am attaching the MRI report. Please suggest.

#

Your MRI report is normal. Your neck symptoms are nonradicular and it means that the nerve roots are unlikely to be compromised and the disc bulge can be easily treated by a good manual therapist with shoulder and neck strengthening exercise. It improves the posture and the pain will settle down. If there is no problem with ENT, you need not worry. You need to assess vitamin D levels.

Please say about the reason for having heavy headedness in the back side of the head and dizziness. Please say whether these symptoms are related to my MRI report.

#

The problem in the disc can cause heaviness and pain at the back of the head and neck. It is well treated by physiotherapy and strengthening of neck muscles can be done. For dizziness, you can take Vertin 8 mg (Betahistine) and see the response.

|