Q. I get electric shock like sensation in neck due to prolonged use of tab. Please help.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

I am a 16-year-old male. For the past few months, I have been getting sudden electric shocks (a little bit more than calm) in my neck when I move it. These are not at all frequent. I get them once in a while. I am not that fit and I use my tab (for studies) while sleeping a bit relaxing almost 4-5 hours a day. Please help.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

As you described, using the tab for 4-5 hours a day will make your neck bent forward to see the tab continuously for long hours. That might be the reason for your neck pain.

As all elders advice, sit straight, keep your books or tab at an elevated location while reading so that you need not bend your neck much. And do some exercises for your neck daily while sitting free. Move your head up and down, sideways, and slow rotatory movements clockwise and anti-clockwise.

Neck sprain.

Neck exercises as advised.

| 

What to do for ankle sprain causing swelling and tingling on toes?

Query: Hello doctor, I sprang my ankle four days ago and went to the ER and they did an x-ray and of course, they could only tell me if there were any major fractures or breaks because of the swelling. Now the swelling has gone down a lot but just a little remain. Hardly there is any bruising, but it is ...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of neck pain due to prolonged sitting?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to sit nine hours per day at work. Due to long time sitting, there is a pain in my neck. What should I do to get rid of this pain?  Read Full »

Why is there pain below the shoulder?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has pain in the area below the left shoulder for the past one week. The pain is there even when she deep breathes, moves her left hand, or does any movement. She is a feeding mother, has overweight and had a cesarean delivery a year ago. She had a similar complaint but reduced ...  Read Full »