Q. I have difficulty in turning my neck after pulling a tight fit dress over my head. Kindly help.

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

I had pain when pulling a tight fitted wetsuit over my head and that caused severe pain for four weeks. It got better but it has now been four months and I cannot turn my head left or right as it hurts. The neck is stiff and I fell somewhere around C7 vertebra. I have pain with what feels like a bulge and saw. I am sleeping on my right side with an arm under my head hurts after a short while but sleeping on the left with arm up is better. I just want someone to click me back into place. Please help. I am a professional deep diver and this is not good for me.

#

In my opinion, what you had is a minor strain and dysfunction in your neck. Nothing to worry about. A small muscle while you try to pull up that wet suit caused spasm and pain which have not got relaxed and disturbing the structures as it is still in that dysfunction mode. It is not actually letting the alignment restored in the bone and muscles. All you need to do is try and get them to its normal length.

I recommend icing your neck frequently like 15 minutes once for every 2 hours. Gently massage your neck so that you feel comfortable there will be areas that are tight and painful knead on them gently to help them relax. Gently stretch the neck muscles like bending neck forward, backward like looking onto the ceiling and side bending. Do some neck retraction and chin tucking exercises.

Kindly do these exercises and let me know how do you feel. Then we will go to mobilization and strengthening to regain the strength of the muscles.

|