Q. Why is my neck pain and stiffness, along with back pain, not responding to physiotherapy?

Dr. Manav Gupta

I am a 50-year-old female. I have been having neck pain, stiffness, and back pain for the past three months. It is getting worse day by day. I have consulted many doctors, but I could not get the right solution for this. I have gone into physiotherapy and various treatments, but nothing helped.

Kindly help.

#

1) Can you tell exactly where the pain is localized? Is it on the neck or between shoulder blades, or just above the shoulders?

2) Is there any history of radiating pain to your shoulder, arm, and hands?

3) Do you have a history of numbness or tingling sensation?

4) Is there any history of trauma or jerk to your neck?

5) Do you have diabetes, hypertension, or thyroid issues?

Revert with the answers to help you better.

Thanks for the reply.

My backpain is localized to L4 and L5 disc and neck pain is felt at C5 cervical spine. I have attached my reports.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for the information.

The findings in your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report are not very significant (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). The report is very much normal, and your symptoms can be due to age-related changes. As these are mostly degenerative findings, I would suggest you take certain precautions as follows;

1) Do not bend forward.

2) Do not lift heavyweight.

3) Do not squat.

4) Avoid sleeping with a too thick pillow.

5) Exercises regularly.

There are specific exercises like back extension exercises, gluteal strengthening exercises, basic core exercises to regain muscle strength, and it takes time for these muscles to be activated.

|