Q. What is the cause for a stiff neck that restricts the rotation of the head in either direction?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

My neck has become very stiff that I cannot rotate my head easily in either direction. Even after two months of exercise (self-selected), there is no improvement. What could be possible causes and possible solutions?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Is it just a stiff neck or also do you have electric shooting pain in the arms and numbness or weakness? If it is only the former, then, oddly, the stiffness has not improved over a period is two months. I will advise you to have an X-ray cervical spine AP and lateral. Do you have any other symptoms like fever weight loss, night sweats, etc.? Please upload the X-rays. In the meantime, take Tolperisone 450 mg once a day to help with the stiffness. Also, try hot packs and take an anti-inflammatory tablet like Voveran SR (Diclofenac) 100 mg once a day after meals. If you do not have diabetes and kidney problems take Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) as an antacid before meals.

|