Q. How to get rid of the negative thoughts and be a better person?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I am a 26-year-old male. I observed I have always inclined towards the negative side of things. Due to recent events, like heartbreak, and age-related illness of parents, feeling extremely negative, exhausted, and feeling difficulty to breathe and loss of appetite are some problems I often face. I am suggested these are panic attacks triggered due to anxiety. Sometimes it is too much. I feel exhausted and want to lay down even though I have not done any tedious task. And now that I recall, I have had these symptoms for over a decade, but since last one year they are noticeable, and the symptoms are louder than ever.

Some months back, I had a break-up, and two months later, my mother was admitted to the hospital due to some illness. She is better now, but during that time, I had a constant burning like sensation in the back of my head. Sleeping became impossible, and I was scared to sleep alone, I stopped using the phone two hours before sleep and meditated starting from five minutes a day to 15 minutes in one stretch. The burning sensation always stayed for 10 to 12 days, and then it became occasional, and later it was gone. I believe meditation helped, and accepting that these are caused by excessive overthinking and most of my thoughts are not reality, has helped me cope. But I wish it was not that complicated. I wish I were not so vulnerable to stressful situations, and my body did not react so vividly in tensed situations. I am a lot better, except it will be even better if I could learn to focus on the good and be a doer instead of feeling lost and helpless in tough times.

#

You are reporting some depressive and anxiety symptoms probably related to stressful life events. It is very positive that you have started meditation and it has helped in making things better for you. Meditation helps manage stress. You can also try yoga if feasible. Learn deep breathing techniques. As you realized, stress can cause physical and emotional problems when it is not adequately managed.

It can happen to anybody going through a stressful period. When you develop better coping mechanisms, you will be able to manage stress more effectively. Try to exercise regularly. It lifts your mood and lowers your anxiety. Try to have a good supportive network of trusted family members and friends. If you continue to feel stressed and have emotional difficulties, you can consider counseling. If depression and anxiety symptoms are persistent and affecting your life, medicines can be considered.

| 

I recently had a break up with someone who was formally my best friend and I am depressed after it. How to get rid of it?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a bad break up with someone who was formally my best friend, and she feels like now we cannot even go back to where we were before as good friends. But we still talked for a while after it, but now we have not been talking, and I have been feeling depressed and having c...  Read Full »

Thoughts about my breakup haunt me and I feel lonely. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling alone in life. I came to work abroad and fortunately got a job at a clothes shop and running it for a year. But, I have not been able to save to help my family. I feel weak and no proper food I am eating. I do not want to deal with customers at the shop. My past breakup ...  Read Full »

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pr...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now