Neonatal Jaundice

Why is my baby's bilirubin levels fluctuating even after 96 hours of phototherapy?

Query: Dear doctor, My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before advising you about the child, I need some information: What are the blood groups of baby and mother? What was the birth weight of the baby? Was the baby born at term or preterm? Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level ...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to give formula to newborn for jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to check the weight of the child and the hydration status of the child to comment on the reason for icterus. Also the blood group of the baby and mother should be known along with G6PD status. Another important factor that comes to play is breast milk jaundice...  Read Full »

My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him unde...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are going through. Yes, it is definitely a high level of bilirubin. There will be proper guidelines laid down regarding the management of jaundice in newborn which doctors will follow. If the levels are too high and fall in the ex...  Read Full »

Is jaundice in a newborn dangerous? What has to be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 38 weeks and baby is 2.8 kg in weight. Yesterday evening the doctor told us that the baby has jaundice at 3.3 and now it is 5.3 What should we do for this? Is it dangerous? Hospital people said yesterday it was mild and does not need tre...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice developing in a baby after 24 hours of life is physiological jaundice and does not require any treatment unless it crosses a limit assigned. Various factors are taken into account like: S bilirubin. Baby blood group. Mother's blood group. Gestational a...  Read Full »

Baby was recommended to take Eltroxin for three years. What do you suggest?

Query: Respected doctor,My baby was born on 5th at the 36th week of pregnancy. Then he was admitted to NICU as signs of jaundice were seen and discharged on 8th. Then again on 11th, he was again admitted to NICU because of jaundice. Then on 12th (8th day) the doctor did a test of TSH, T3, and T4 (report is...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suppose there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding. We never recommend a continuous dosage of Levothyroxine for three years without checking the levels periodically. So, what is usually done is that we repeat thyroid profile three monthly and adjust the do...  Read Full »

My 7 week old baby's bilirubin level is 6.8 mg/dL. Kindly advise the drug and care.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 7 weeks old. He is totally on breastfeed. Yesterday we noticed that his eyes were yellow and we took him to a doctor today. The doctor advised us a bilirubin test. The reports read as bilirubin total 6.8 mg/dL, bilirubin direct 0.9 mg/dL and bilirubin indirect 5.9 mg/dL. Kindly...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is one of the common complaints from the parents. Such levels of bilirubin are normal in the initial months of life. There is nothing to worry about it. The sleep pattern that you described is perfectly normal. Usually, babies cry continuously for a while and then go ...  Read Full »

My 12 days old son's bilirubin level keeps increasing. What is going on?

Query: Hi doctor, I am really concerned with the bilirubin levels of my 12 days old son. His bilirubin was 14.2 within 24 hours of his birth, so the doctor decided to start phototherapy, which reduced the bilirubin level to 12 and he got discharged. After a day, he turned pale yellow, so we rushed again to...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are upset with your baby's condition. Your baby has ABO incompatibility (mother O and baby A blood group) induced exaggerated NNJ (neonatal jaundice). It is a condition where there will be an excessive breakdown of baby's red blood cells than compa...  Read Full »