Q. I suspect brain damage in my 3-month-old preterm baby as she got jaundice. Kindly help.

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My daughter is a 3-month-old baby, and she is early term baby delivered on the seventh four months ago. On the seventh day, we found out she has jaundice and admitted her. Her level is severe 30 mg/dL, but after phototherapy, for six hours, it reduces 20 mg, and it is gradual to 13. We discharge on the ninth day. I was confused she has brain damage within that six days of her birth. But the hospital did not mention anything. While admitting they said brain damage would occur, but after it decreased, they did not say anything about that. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Very high bilirubin can cause some brain injury. There are various factors that cause raised bilirubin. You said bilirubin was 30, then dropped to 20 in six hours. It is unlikely. It could be some error. If your baby is active, playful, and feeding well no need to worry. Monitor child activity. Consult a doctor for examination if there are any changes.

I hope this was helpful.

She is an early preterm baby with normal delivery, so I have less feed. So she got jaundice. We found out only on the seventh day. They gave Phenobarbitone syrup during phototherapy. Now she is fine, no symptoms up to this. After three months, I took a blood test it has come to 0.5 mg total. And we took an ultrasound in that brain parenchyma also appears normal. Is there anything serious after this? We are so depressed. Kindly help.

#

As you have said, her bilirubin is normal now, so no need to worry. Her activities, according to her age, should be normal. If it is so, all is well. A 3-month child should have a social smile and should feed well. I suggest starting iron drops, and Vitamin D drops. Do not be depressed if your child is playful, feeding well, and active. I hope this was helpful.

Are there any chances for brain damage? I took an ultrasound also they told me brain parenchyma is normal. If parenchyma is normal, we need not worry, right? I am attaching the report. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Hi.

A very high level may cause injury. But we need to see some symptoms also if there was brown damage in the absence of symptoms and normal ultrasound, no need to worry.

I hope this was helpful.

|