Q. What is the difference between nephrolithiasis and soft tissue calcification?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Somani and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Nephrolithiasis or Kidney Tests? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

The findings of my 12 year old daughter's x-ray showed a cluster of 3 mm density overlying the right kidney, which may represent soft tissue calcification versus nephrolithiasis. I would like to get a clear understanding of the difference between soft tissue calcification and nephrolithiasis. Thank you