Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am having weird sensations on bone and cheek. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Aida Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 12, 2019

Hello doctor,

For the past week or so I have been feeling a wired sensation in my right cheek sometimes on the bone other times in my mouth. I have seen my general practitioner, psychiatrist as well as eye doctor and chiropractor. They seem to think it is a combination between my anxiety and the tense muscles in my neck. I just recently had a cervical MRI for an unrelated issue and they said that the brain stem controls this area and was seen as normal on the MRI, so there is no concern.

Dr. Aida Quka



Welcome to

I understand your concern and would explain that as long as your brain and cervical spine MRI are normal, there is no reason to panic. We can exclude MS or any serious disorders affecting the central nervous system. In my opinion, your symptoms could be related to a pinched nerve. An electrolyte imbalance can mimic this situation too. For this reason I would recommend checking thyroid hormone levels, vitamin B12 plasma levels, blood electrolytes.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I did not have a full brain MRI, just the cervical spine, but my doctors told me that the brain stem and facial areas were all normal. Do you think I need a full brain scan?

Dr. Aida Quka



Welcome back to

Yes, I think that a brain MRI is necessary, because it can give much more information about the trigeminal nerve, which is the main nerve responsible for the face sensitivity in this region.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Kindly advise the treatment for my wife's neck pain.
MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?
What can cause tingling sensation in muscles?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

MRI of which body parts will best reveal spondyloarthropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male and I was diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy seven years back. I am taking only Sulfasalazine tablets daily. Currently, I do not have any pain or stiffness. My HLA-B27 report is negative. Now, if I do the following MRIs, how much chances are there...  Read Full »

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.