Q. I am having weird sensations on bone and cheek. Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka

For the past week or so I have been feeling a wired sensation in my right cheek sometimes on the bone other times in my mouth. I have seen my general practitioner, psychiatrist as well as eye doctor and chiropractor. They seem to think it is a combination between my anxiety and the tense muscles in my neck. I just recently had a cervical MRI for an unrelated issue and they said that the brain stem controls this area and was seen as normal on the MRI, so there is no concern.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that as long as your brain and cervical spine MRI are normal, there is no reason to panic. We can exclude MS or any serious disorders affecting the central nervous system. In my opinion, your symptoms could be related to a pinched nerve. An electrolyte imbalance can mimic this situation too. For this reason I would recommend checking thyroid hormone levels, vitamin B12 plasma levels, blood electrolytes.

| 

I did not have a full brain MRI, just the cervical spine, but my doctors told me that the brain stem and facial areas were all normal. Do you think I need a full brain scan?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Yes, I think that a brain MRI is necessary, because it can give much more information about the trigeminal nerve, which is the main nerve responsible for the face sensitivity in this region.

|