Nerve Root Irritation

What is the treatment for severe lower back pain after lifting heavyweight?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lower back pain for more than two months. I lifted a heavy rice bag, and the pain is always there since then. No pain in legs, no numbness, and no symptoms other than lower back pain. I cannot bend forward, and I find difficulty in some positions that I used to do. The pain is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tejash Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history of weight lifting and finding of MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) sacralization of L5-S1 disc and nerve root compression at L3-L4 and retrolysthesis L3 + L4 means posterior displacement of one vertebra over another occurs. So t...  Read Full »

What is the abutment of nerve root?

Query: Hi doctor,I am just wondering what is abutting and abutment of the nerve root means in a back issue. Please explain. What treatment is required for annular bulging and tear?  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Abutment of nerve root means that the disc is touching the nerve root. Treatment of disc bulge alone is mostly non-surgical means. If there is annular tear, then you will...  Read Full »

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first possibility of meningitis is unlikely. It would cause fever, severe headache and patient will be very sick. I do not think this to be a lymph node pain because lymph nodes will hurt only when they enlarge in a short duration of maximum one or two wee...  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tethered cord is a result of fibrosis and inflammation. Your symptoms of back pain and weakened bowel and bladder movements could be explained with the tethered cord.  ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my neck and backache?

Query: Hi doctor, Before four months, I did a couple of heavy things, about a week later, when I put my head down or looked down, I noticed a twinge in my back, on the left side of my right shoulder blade. As weeks went on, it became awful and more painful. I also had spasms on the right side and under my ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it could be a problem with your neck or upper back. The neck pain can be due to a simple muscle sprain, or it could be a manifestation of a disc irritation on the nerves (more likely). In the upper back, there could be a trigger spot which beha...  Read Full »

Can you review my scans to see what is causing the various neurological symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic right leg spasticity, migraines, muscle pain, ataxia, nausea, vertigo, and pins and needles in hands and feet. Please, could you review my scans to see what is the cause of my various neurological symptoms? Is it cervical myelopathy or MS?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are cervical disc problems at many levels and mild cervical spondylosis. There is a neural foraminal compromise and nerve root compression in C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7 cervical disc lev...  Read Full »

There is no improvement in my back pain. Does it indicate disc problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. About a month ago, I injured my mid-lower back while doing weightlifting. There is one vertebra that feels bruised to the touch, and I have pain in that one spot when I do certain movements, like bending. I also have a lot of muscle tightness and aching thro...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.It is very unusual for a vertebra to be fractured simply by weightlifting unless you are lifting unusually heavy weights.Yes, you can have a disc problem in weightlifting, but it is unlikely to cause tenderness on the surface of the body. You are more likely to get nerv...  Read Full »

Why am I getting radiating pain on my chest, shoulders and neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having pain around my esophagus, upper chest area as well as the bones under the eyes. The pain is radiating from upper chest to the shoulders. I am also having some memory problem. This has been slowly getting worse over a period of a couple of years. I can feel the pain on t...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pattern of pain you are describing is most probably due to any one of the following. Nerve irritation known as cervical radiculopathy that is due to compression or irritation of a nerve root of the neck. This might be associated with numbness. Disc herniation in the l...  Read Full »