Q. I have a burning sensation in my groin area, which makes walking difficult. What could it be?

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 20, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have a burning sensation in the skin in my groin area, which is making me very hard to walk. I have had it on and off for the past 11 months. I am not sure if it is a skin chafing or jock itch or bacterial infection or something more serious. I tried jock itch cream, but it did not help.



Welcome to cliniq.com.

Please answer a few questions:

1. Do you have any itching?

2. Do you have any history of hypertension or diabetes mellitus, or any other systemic disease?

3. Was there any fluid-filled vesicle eruptions?

4. Is it progressing or being persistent?

I am looking forward to your response to help you.


Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have any itching, but it is more like a burning sensation when walking especially. I do not have any history of hypertension or diabetes. And there are no fluid eruptions. It is more like being persistent than progressing, and honestly, it is hard to tell.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

It might be a case of neuralgia; the three most common cause of burning in particular areas are,

1. Postherpetic neuralgia (pain that persists after an episode of herpes zoster, sometimes there is no apparent eruption observed, even in cases of herpes zoster that known as zoster sine herpete).

2. Neuropathy is an impaired function of nerves due to various reasons.

3. Vitamin B12 deficiency is also one of the most common causes of neuropathy.

I would advise you to take Vitamin B12 1500 microgram daily for 2 to 3 months and tablet Amitriptyline 25 mg, once daily at night for one month. If not relieved by this, you need a complete work-up and need to consult with a Neurologist as there is no dermatological involvement. I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have burning sensation on the internal walls of vagina. Why is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have burning sensation and itching on internal walls of vagina after sex and after ovulation. I am facing this problem for the past 6 to 8 months. For past 1 week, I am unable to have sex and while passing urine the nerve pains. We are trying to get pregnant for more than 7 years. Curre...  Read Full »

Can epidural anesthesia cause sciatica, neuralgia and migraines?

Query: Hello doctor, 12 years ago I gave birth to my first baby. I was healthy when I walked in and then, not even for a single day I felt well. When I was given my epidural, my heart rate shot up to 150 and you could see it beating from the outside. They took it out and replaced it. The anesthesiologist ...  Read Full »

I am having burning sensation in my scrotum after oral sex. Could it be HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had receptive oral sex (received fellation) with an escort girl three weeks ago. Since then, I have got urethritis three days after. I have been treated with Levofloxacin for 10 days. The urethritis got cured, but I kept getting some strange burning sensations in my scrotum and the to...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.