Q. Is stem cell therapy useful for neurogenic bladder?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

My daughter, who is 22 years old, has neurogenic bladder. Her height is 4'10" and weight is 53 kg. She is suffering from voiding dysfunction and constipation. She underwent surgery for spinal lipoma when she was 45 days old. Her bladder trabeculated and grade 3 reflux. Her right kidney is 8.83 x 4.89 cm and left is 9.40 x 4.08 cm. She had been on Nitrofurantoin 100 mg and Tolterodine tartrate 2mg per day (bed time) for six years and discontinued three months back. Kindly advice on appropriate treatment option and prognosis. I would like to know if stem cell therapy is useful. I have attached her reports for your reference.

#

Hi.

We are here to help you.

• Yes, your daughter needs treatment. I need to know that, how is she doing without medicines?
  • How many times in the night does she pass urine?

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

She voids twice in the night at around 10.30 PM and 5 AM. In the meantime, she does not wake up for urination. Her urologist advised to discontinue prophylactic use of Nitrofurantoin so that she can go for antibiotic when she requires it.

#

• On studying her issues my advice would be to give her Tolterodine further.
  • Your doctor is right and there is no point in giving Nitrofurantoin further. So, Tolterodine would help her greatly through the process.
  • Stem cell therapy if you want to try, then you may give a try. The results are variable and I have not seen much good results with stem cell therapy.
  • However, when there is no other option left, then you can consider stem cell therapy.

|