Q. Can we have sex after an abortion?

Dr. Monica Mathur
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My wife was pregnant four months back. When she went through nuchal translucency (NT) scan at 13 weeks, the report explained that the baby's spine was deformed and no nasal bone was present. The doctor suggested abortion because the baby was not normal. She had an abortion two weeks back. We were under deep stress about an abnormal baby.

Please suggest some treatments or precautions for future baby planning.

1. When can we plan for a baby now?
  2. Can we have sex now?
  3. What medications should my wife take to prevent this in the future?
  4. Can you suggest some nutritional supplements for us?
  5. What condition was responsible in our case?
#

It is a depressing situation when you come to know that the baby growing inside is deformed. The baby had a nervous system disorder. In such cases, certain deficiencies are the reason, which may lead to such conditions.

In such cases, the following medicines are advised:

1. Tablet Folvite (Sodium Folate) 5 mg twice a day for the next three months.
  2. Tablet Neurobion Forte (multivitamins) once a day for the next one month.

As far as sexual intercourse is concerned, you should avoid it for six months because, during this time, the body of the mother gains what has been lost in the previous pregnancy and after abortion.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

1. Is male sperm responsible for this condition?
  2. What can she add to her diet?
  3. We had performed preventive sex the previous day. Will this activity have any effect on her body?
  4. Can we perform preventive sex?
#

Preventive sex can be allowed along with the prevention of pregnancy. Male sperm is not responsible for this condition. She can take a normal diet.

My wife feels heaviness and cannot digest food easily in the evening and make burps. Otherwise, in the morning, she can digest food normally. Please tell me any precautions and medications.

#

The feeling of heaviness is basically due to gas distention and acidity. Try to eat salads and a more fiber diet. Take the dinner early and do not sleep at least two hours after dinner. If the problem still persists, she can take a tablet of Rantac 150 mg (Ranitidine).

|