Q. Can long-term hypertension cause neuropathic pain in the feet?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2022

I have been hypertensive for 19 years, and I am taking my medications regularly. I had RTA years ago with some multiple fractures but had no disability. I also have arthritis, and I take medicines for it too. I had allergies bothering me from time to time, and I use Ventolin. Recently, two years ago, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder that I can deal with. I noticed that I get exhausted after trekking for 10 minutes or climbing stairways, so I requested some tests to see the problem. The result came out that I have high cholesterol of 248.3 mg/dL, kidney function is alright while I am still awaiting liver function test results. Please, can you advise me on what should I do? I find difficulty sleeping too. I saw a cardiologist recently about seven months ago, and he advised me not to panic. My feet also have neuropathic pain, but my glucose level is between 4.4 mmol/L to 6.2 mmol/L.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. I understand that you have multiple ailments right now, and you are taking medications for all. I appreciate that. My advice to you would be to get your vitamin D, and vitamin B12 levels checked only after which I can say something about the pain you have been experiencing. In case you have the reports, please share them. For your high cholesterol, I must tell you that you need immediate lifestyle modifications like regular exercise or walking in any form you are comfortable in. It would help if you stopped eating fried foods and heavy carbohydrates. In case you need diet advice, let me know. It would help if you visited your doctor, treating you for hypertension. He will suggest a few medications to help reduce cholesterol which is very much needed. In case that is not possible, you can let me know. Just make sure you share the results of your complete lipid profile with me.

|