Q. I am on treatment for psychosis and depression. Will nicotex interact with my medicine?

Dr. Akanksha Sharma
Published on Dec 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2019

I am suffering from psychosis, anxiety, depression and panic disorder which used to be at its peak before few months. I used to smoke seven to eight cigarettes a day. I visited a psychologist counselor and she told me to quit smoking by using nicotex every two hours. But I am scared because I am having disturbed heartbeat. My ECG is normal, but I have a headache and other symptoms. Can this be any interaction of nicotex with medicines? And also I want to know how to use nicotex? I was recommended to take after every two hours gap, but I want to know for how many minutes it should be chewed? Will this be helpful?

#

Now, have you been diagnosed with psychosis, anxiety, panic disorder, and depression? What were the other medicines apart from nicotex gums which were prescribed to you? Was any improvement noted after taking those medicines?

Now, solving your doubt. Nicotex can be taken as many times as you would take a cigarette or whenever you had a desire. Cigarettes contain harmful chemicals apart from nicotine whereas, nicotex contains only nicotine which is not so harmful to lungs. You can safely take nicotex gums. If ECG (electrocardiogram) is normal then no major issues with heart are likely. Your symptoms appear to be because of anxiety more than due to nicotine. You chew nicotine as long as it loses its taste. Let me know about your symptoms more so that I can help you more.

| 

Pantoprazole - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects

Article Overview: This article talks about the drug Pantoprazole commonly used in the treatment of ulcers, heartburn, and reflux. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Pharmacologist

Pantoprazole belongs to a group of drugs called proton-pump inhibitors (PPI), which prevent the secretion of stomach acid. They are used in the treatment of ulcers, heartburn, and reflux. By blocking the enzyme that produces acid, the acid production in the stomach is lowered, thus allowing the ulc...  Read Article

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

With anxiety alone, can my heart rate go too high I cannot calm it down?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from anxiety and my anxiety is always centered on my heart. With anxiety/panic alone, can my heart rate go too high that I cannot calm it down?  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now