HomeAnswersEndocrinologynightfallI am a 24-year-old male experiencing a reduction in wet dreams and sexual arousal. Is it a concerning issue?

Could a decrease in wet dreams and sexual arousal be linked to thyroid issues?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 5, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 21, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 24-year-old male and I experienced more frequent wet dreams two and a half years ago, and I believe I had higher sexual potency back then. However, currently, I have noticed a decrease in wet dreams and experience erectile dysfunction when exposed to pornography, whereas two and a half years ago, I used to get easily aroused. I am concerned about my sexual potency. I also feel colder in the mornings, experience reduced body temperature, and notice slightly dry skin. A friend mentioned that my sexual potency might be impacted by a thyroid issue. Now, I have several questions:

1. Could the cessation of wet dreams and reduced sexual potency be linked to a thyroid problem?
  2. If I undergo thyroid treatment, is it possible for my sexual potency to improve?
  3. Which medical tests should I undergo, and under what conditions should these tests be conducted?
  4. Is a semen volume of about 0.0338 ounces sufficient for conceiving children?

Kindly provide your insight.

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I read your query and understood your concern. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Is the cessation of wet dreams and reduced sexual potency due to a thyroid problem?

No, these issues are not attributed to a thyroid disorder.

2. If I undergo thyroid treatment, can I regain my sexual potency?

No, it is not recommended to undergo thyroid treatment without a diagnosed thyroid disorder.

3. Which tests should I undergo, and under what conditions should these tests be conducted?

You should consider undergoing a thyroid function test, serum testosterone test early in the morning on two different days, serum prolactin test, and serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), and LH (luteinizing hormone) tests.

Yes, a semen volume of about 0.0338 ounces is capable of leading to successful conception.

I hope this has helped you. Kindly follow up if you have more doubts.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Endocrinology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Endocrinology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy